Ely House or Ely Palace. Antique print of a ground plan of Ely House the London townhouse of the Bishops of Ely from 1290 to 1772. Land in the Holborn area was bought by John de Kirkby in 1280. He was appointed Bishop of Ely in 1286 and upon his death in 1290, left the estate to the see of Ely. Antique copper-plate engraving, dated in the plate 26 Oct 1784. Size of engraved area approx. 8.5×5.5ins .