Ely Palace or Ely House. Antique print of Ely Palace, the London townhouse of the Bishops of Ely from 1290 to 1772. Land in the Holborn area was bought by John de Kirkby in 1280. He was appointed Bishop of Ely in 1286 and upon his death in 1290, left the estate to the see of Ely. Antique copper-plate engraving of Ely House, London. Dated in the plate 1784. Size of engraved area approx 5x6ins. Note: Price shown is ex VAT.