Friar Bacon’s Study, Oxford. Friar Bacon’s Study on the Folly Bridge was a place of pilgrimage for scientists, but the building was pulled down in 1779 to allow for road widening. The study was where Franciscan Friar, Doctor Mirabilis, did much of his work. Antique copper-plate engraving of Friar Bacon’s Study, Oxford. Dated in the plate 7 March 1785. Size of engraved area approx 5x6ins.