Hyde Abbey, here described as Hide Abbey, was a medieval Benedictine monastery just outside the walls of Winchester, Hampshire, England. It was dissolved and demolished in 1539. Following the dissolution of the monasteries the surviving monks were pensioned off and the buildings were rapidly disassembled for their building materials and anything else of value. By 1784, only the building recorded in this image had survived. Original copper-plate engraving dated in the plate 1784. Size of engraved area approx 5x6ins. .