Portchester Castle, Hampshire is derived from its former Latin name Portus Adurni and the Old English suffix ceaster (“fort; fortified town”). Portus Adurni was a Roman fortress in the Roman province of Britannia. It was later converted into the medieval castle now known as Portchester Castle. This antique copper-plate engraving of Portchester Castle is dated in the plate 30th June 1784. Size of engraved area approx 5x6ins. Price shown is ex VAT.