Sopwell Priory (also known as Sopwell Nunnery or Sopewell Nunnery) built c. 1140 in Hertfordshire, England by the Benedictine abbot of St Albans Abbey, Geoffrey de Gorham. It was founded as the Priory of St Mary of Sopwell and was a cell of St Albans Abbey. Antique copper-plate engraving of Sopewell Nunnery, near St Albans, Herts from Francis Grose's The Antiquities of England and Wales. Dated in the plate July 3; 1787. Size of engraved area approx 5x6ins.