Winchester. The almshouses and vast Norman chapel of Hospital of St Cross were founded just outside the city centre by Henry de Blois in the 1130s. Since at least the 14th century, and still available today, a ‘wayfarer’s dole’ of ale and bread has been handed out there. It was supposedly instigated to aid pilgrims on their way to Canterbury. Antique copper-plate engraving of The Hospital of St Cross. Dated in the plate 10 August 1783. Size of engraved area approx 5x6ins. .