Antique map of Anglesey Anglesea Wales Cymru from ‘Curiosities of Great Britain. England and Wales Delineated. Historical, Entertaining & Commercial, Alphabetically Arranged by Thomas Dugdale, Antiquarian. Assisted by William Burnett.’ (Dugdale was a professional artist, whilst Burnett was a civil engineer by profession.) Together they produced a series of steel engraved prints of English and Welsh architectural and topographical features, together with County Maps. The county maps were drawn and engraved by Joshua Archer of Pentonville, London. Included in the maps was a considerable amount of information including: the ‘hundreds’ and ‘wapentakes (divisions within a county), county towns, market towns, villages and hamlets, country seats and parks, canals, turnpike roads, cross roads, rail roads built and planned, stations, rivers and water courses, woods and plantations, polling places for the county, boundaries of counties, hundreds and boroughs, together with distances between towns and the capital city, London. Each map was hand-coloured at the time of publication
Anglesey or Ynys Môn (Welsh: Ynys Môn [ˈənɨs ˈmoːn]) is an island off the north-west coast of Wales. It is by far the largest island of Wales and the seventh-largest island in the British Isles. Anglesey is also the largest island in the Irish Sea by area, and the second most populous island in the Irish Sea (after the Isle of Man). Two bridges span the Menai Strait, connecting the island to the mainland: the Menai Suspension Bridge, designed by Thomas Telford in 1826, and the Britannia Bridge.