Barnet antique map with a Diagram of the Urban Sanitary District Boundary, Proposed Additions to the Urban Sanitary District of East Barnet Valley, and the County Boundary. No recommendation was made in respect of the County Boundary, however, the Local Government Act of 1888 altered the boundary and created a ‘unified’ Barnet within the county of Hertfordshire. A rare Ordnance Survey map by R. Owen Jones, Royal Engineer, produced for the Local Government Boundary Commission Report, 1888.
Barnet was a local government district in south Hertfordshire from 1863 to 1965 around the town of Barnet. The district originally consisted of parts of the parishes of Chipping Barnet in Hertfordshire, and Monken Hadley and South Mimms in Middlesex. The Local Government Act 1888 adjusted the county boundaries in 1889, so that the entire district was in Hertfordshire; forming part of a long, thin protrusion into Middlesex surrounded by that county on two sides, to the north and south.
Boundary Commissions in the United Kingdom are non-departmental public bodies responsible for determining the boundaries of constituencies for elections to the House of Commons, and areas of local government.
The Local Government (Boundaries) Act 1887 (50 & 51 Vict. c. 61) was an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. The Act established boundary commissioners to reform the areas of administrative bodies in England and Wales in preparation for the creation of elected councils by the Local Government Act 1888. In the event, the recommendations of the commissioners were not carried out.
Zincography was a planographic printing process that used zinc plates. Alois Senefelder first mentioned zinc’s lithographic use as a substitute for Bavarian limestone in his 1801 English patent specifications. In 1834, Federico Lacelli patented a zincographic printing process, producing large maps called géoramas. In 1837-1842, Eugène-Florent Kaeppelin perfected the process to create a large polychrome geologic map.