Blyth Tynemouth North Shields South Shields Tyne and Wear antique map. Original hand-coloured copper-plate engraved antique map from John Cary’s ‘New Maps of England and Wales with part of Scotland,’ published, 1794. Plate number 69 featuring: Blyth, Newbiggin, Seaton, Whitley, Tynemouth. North Shields, South Shields, Jarrow, Chirton.
Blyth is a town in southeast Northumberland, England. It lies on the coast, to the south of the River Blyth and is approximately 13 miles northeast of Newcastle upon Tyne.
South Shields is a coastal town at the mouth of the River Tyne, England, about 4.84 miles (7.79 km) downstream from Newcastle upon Tyne. Historically in County Durham,
John Cary (c. 1754 – 1835) was an English cartographer. Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes, his atlas, The New and Correct English Atlas published in 1787, becoming a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s New Itinerary (1798), a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley (1822–1875).