Chester Liverpool Warrington Chester Wrexham Oswestry Ellesmere antique map. Original hand-coloured copper-plate engraved antique map from John Cary’s ‘New Maps of England and Wales with part of Scotland,’ published, 1794. Plate number 40 featuring: Liverpool, Prescot, Warrington, HolyWell, StAsaph, Caerwys, RiverMersey, RiverDee, Flint, Denbigh, Chester, Mold, Ruthin, Wrexham, Nantwich, Malpas;Llangollen, Whitchurch, Ellesmere, Oswestry, Llanvylling, Wem, Flintshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Shropshire, Salop.
John Cary (c. 1754 – 1835) was an English cartographer. Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes, his atlas, The New and Correct English Atlas published in 1787, becoming a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s New Itinerary (1798), a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley (1822–1875).
Liverpool is a city in North West England. It is located on the eastern side of the Mersey Estuary, and historically lay within the ancient hundred of West Derby in the south west of the county of Lancashire. It became a borough in 1207 and a city in 1880. In 1889, it became a county borough independent of Lancashire. Its growth as a major port was paralleled by the expansion of the city throughout the Industrial Revolution. Along with handling general cargo, freight, raw materials such as coal and cotton, the city merchants were involved in the Atlantic slave trade. In the 19th century, it was a major port of departure for Irish and English emigrants to the United States.