Devon and Cornwall antique map. Original hand-coloured copper-plate engraved antique map from John Cary’s ‘New Maps of England and Wales with part of Scotland,’ published, 1794. Plate number 11 featuring north-west Cornwall and part of Devon, Lundy Island, Padstow ,Camelford, Launceston, Hartland, Stratton, Holsworthy ,Tintagell. John Cary (c. 1754 – 1835) was an English cartographer. Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes, his atlas, The New and Correct English Atlas published in 1787, becoming a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s New Itinerary (1798), a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley (1822–1875).
Lundy is the largest island in the Bristol Channel. It lies 12 miles (19 km) off the coast of Devon, England, in the district of Torridge, about a third of the distance across the channel from Devon, England to South Wales. Lundy gives its name to a British sea area and is one of the islands of England Lundy has been designated by Natural England as national character area 159, one of England’s natural regions.