Crowle Lincolnshire antique map Ordnance Survey 1888

£45.00

Crowle Lincolnshire antique map. A rare Ordnance Survey map, produced for the Local Government Boundaries Commission Report, 1888. References to : Urban Sanitary District Boundary and County Boundary. The following places or features are named: Earnshaws Warping, Swineflee Warping, Haldenby Hall, Old Don River, Luddington, Eastort Hall, Adlingfleet Drain, Ousefleet Moor, Thorn Moor, Leam House, Keadby Canal, New Idle River, Derrythorpe, Woodhouse, New Torne River. Paper size approx. 14.0 x 10.5 inches. See scan for foxing mostly to sides and binding marks beyond printed area to right. Small conservation repaired tear on right margin.

In stock

Description

Crowle Lincolnshire antique map. A rare Ordnance Survey map by Robert Owen Jones, Royal Engineer, produced for the Local Government Boundaries Commission Report, 1888. References to : Urban Sanitary District Boundary and County Boundary. The following places or features are named: Earnshaws Warping, Swineflee Warping, Haldenby Hall, Old Don River, Luddington, Eastort Hall, Adlingfleet Drain, Ousefleet Moor, Thorn Moor, Leam House, Keadby Canal, New Idle River, Derrythorpe, Woodhouse, New Torne River.

Crowle is a small town on the Isle of Axholme in North Lincolnshire, England. It lies on the Stainforth and Keadby Canal and has a railway station.

Boundary Commissions in the United Kingdom are non-departmental public bodies responsible for determining the boundaries of constituencies for elections to the House of Commons, and areas of local government.

The Local Government (Boundaries) Act 1887 (50 & 51 Vict. c. 61) was an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. The Act established boundary commissioners to reform the areas of administrative bodies in England and Wales in preparation for the creation of elected councils by the Local Government Act 1888. In the event, the recommendations of the commissioners were not carried out.

Zincography was a planographic printing process that used zinc plates. Alois Senefelder first mentioned zinc’s lithographic use as a substitute for Bavarian limestone in his 1801 English patent specifications. In 1834, Federico Lacelli patented a zincographic printing process, producing large maps called géoramas. In 1837-1842, Eugène-Florent Kaeppelin perfected the process to create a large polychrome geologic map.

Product Categories