Dulas Bay Anglesey North Wales antique map published 1794

£15.00

Dulas Bay Anglesey North Wales antique map. Original hand-coloured copper-plate engraved antique map from John Cary’s ‘New Maps of England and Wales with part of Scotland,’ published, 1794. Plate number 48 featuring: Dulas Bay, Wales, Cymru, Anglesey, Ynys Môn, Bae Dulas, Llaneilian, Aelianus, Llanelian. Paper size 12.75 x 9.75 inches. Nice clean example.

Description

Dulas Bay Anglesey North Wales antique map. Original hand-coloured copper-plate engraved antique map from John Cary’s ‘New Maps of England and Wales with part of Scotland,’ published, 1794. Plate number 48 featuring: Dulas Bay, Wales, Cymru, Anglesey, Ynys Môn, Bae Dulas, Llaneilian, Aelianus, Llanelian.

John Cary (c. 1754 – 1835) was an English cartographer. Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes, his atlas, The New and Correct English Atlas published in 1787, becoming a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s New Itinerary (1798), a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley (1822–1875).

Dulas Bay (Welsh: Bae Dulas) is a small bay on the north east coast of Anglesey (Ynys Môn), north Wales, forming the boundary between Llaneilian and Moelfre communities. The bay is bordered by three beaches.

Anglesey Welsh: Ynys Môn is an island off the north-west coast of Wales. With an area of 276 square miles (715 km2), Anglesey is by far the largest island in Wales and the seventh largest in the British Isles. Anglesey is also the largest island in the Irish Sea by area, and the second most populous island (after the Isle of Man). Two bridges span the Menai Strait, connecting the island to the mainland: the Menai Suspension Bridge, designed by Thomas Telford in 1826, and the Britannia Bridge.

 

Product Categories