Durham antique map includes Yorkshire Northumberland Westmorland. Original hand-coloured copper-plate engraved antique map from John Cary’s ‘New Maps of England and Wales with part of Scotland,’ published, 1794. Plate number 59 featuring: County Durham, Yorkshire, Northumberland, Westmorland, Alston, Hexham, Allondale, Newcastle, Gateshead, Durham, BishopAukland, Wolsingham, RabyCastle, Weardale, Teesdale, Appleby, Brough, KirkbyStephen, BarnardCastle, Darlington, Richmond, Ravenstonedale, Hawes, Middleham, Masham, Bedale.
County Durham is a county in North East England. The county town is Durham, a cathedral city. The largest settlement is Darlington, closely followed by Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees. The county’s historic boundaries stretch between the rivers Tyne and Tees, and so includes places such as Gateshead, Jarrow, South Shields and Sunderland.
John Cary (c. 1754 – 1835) was an English cartographer. Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes, his atlas, The New and Correct English Atlas published in 1787, becoming a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s New Itinerary (1798), a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley (1822–1875).