Gloucestershire antique map by John Cary, published 1812

£30.00

Gloucestershire Georgian antique map by cartographer John Cary. Published 1812 in his “Traveller’s Companion.” Original outline hand colouring. Note compass! Paper size 7.25 x 4.25 inches. Nice example of Cary’s work.

In stock

Description

Gloucestershire (/ˈɡlɒstərʃər/, /-ʃɪər/; formally abbreviated as Gloucs. in print but now often as Glos.) is a county in South West England. The county comprises part of the Cotswold Hills, part of the flat fertile valley of the River Severn, and the entire Forest of Dean. The county town is the city of Gloucester, and other principal towns include Cheltenham, Cirencester, Stroud, Tewkesbury and Dursley. Gloucestershire borders Herefordshire to the northwest, Wiltshire to the south, Bristol and Somerset to the south west, Worcestershire to the north, Oxfordshire to the east, Warwickshire to the northeast, and the Welsh county of Monmouthshire to the west.

John Cary (c. 1754 – 1835) was an English cartographer. Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes, his atlasThe New and Correct English Atlas published in 1787, becoming a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s New Itinerary (1798), a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley (1822–1875).

Product Categories