Lancashire antique map. Original hand-coloured copper-plate engraved antique map of Lancashire and part of what is now Cumbria from John Cary’s ‘New Maps of England and Wales with part of Scotland,’ published, 1794. Plate number 49 featuring: Ulverston, Dalton, Cartmel, Kirkby Lonsdale, Hornby, Lancaster, Poulton, Kirkham, Walton le Dale, Preston, Chorley, Ormskirk; Knowsley, Wigan, Newton, Blackpool.
Lancashire (abbreviated Lancs.) is a county in north west England. The county town is Lancaster. People from Lancashire are known as Lancastrians. The history of Lancashire begins with its founding in the 12th century. In the Domesday Book of 1086, some of its lands were treated as part of Yorkshire. The land that lay between the Ribble and Mersey, Inter Ripam et Mersam, was included in the returns for Cheshire. When its boundaries were established, it bordered Cumberland, Westmorland, Yorkshire, and Cheshire.
John Cary (c. 1754 – 1835) was an English cartographer. Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes, his atlas, The New and Correct English Atlas published in 1787, becoming a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s New Itinerary (1798), a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley (1822–1875).