Lyme Regis antique map Boundary Commission 1888

£45.00

Lyme Regis antique map with a Diagram of the Alterations Proposed by the Boundaries Commission. Illustrating the  present and proposed Municipal Boundary , together with details of the Urban Sanitary District Boundary. Paper size 10.5 x 14 inches. Original colouring. Some browning to margins, otherwise nice clean map (see scan.) Binding holes well beyond printed area. Commission text will be supplied if available.

In stock

Description

Lyme Regis antique map with a Diagram of the Alterations Proposed by the Local Government Boundaries Commission to Lyme Regis, Dorset. Illustrating the Present and Proposed Municipal Boundary together with details of the Urban Sanitary District Boundary.

Lyme Regis is a town in West DorsetEngland, 25 miles west of Dorchester and 25 miles east of Exeter. It lies at Lyme Bay on the English Channel coast at the Dorset–Devon border. It is nicknamed “The Pearl of Dorset”. It is noted for fossils found in cliffs and beaches that are part of the Heritage Coast – known commercially as the Jurassic Coast – a World Heritage Site.

The Boundary Commissions in the United Kingdom are non-departmental public bodies responsible for determining the boundaries of constituencies for elections to the House of Commons, and areas of local government.

The Local Government (Boundaries) Act 1887 (50 & 51 Vict. c. 61) was an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. The Act established boundary commissioners to reform the areas of administrative bodies in England and Wales in preparation for the creation of elected councils by the Local Government Act 1888. In the event, the recommendations of the commissioners were not carried out.

Zincography was a planographic printing process that used zinc plates. Alois Senefelder first mentioned zinc’s lithographic use as a substitute for Bavarian limestone in his 1801 English patent specifications. In 1834, Federico Lacelli patented a zincographic printing process, producing large maps called géoramas. In 1837-1842, Eugène-Florent Kaeppelin perfected the process to create a large polychrome geologic map.

Product Categories