New Zealand antique map. Guaranteed original Victorian antique map published by J. Bartholomew of Edinburgh, Scotland, c.1880. Vignettes of Auckland and the Cook Strait.
The text below is from a post in “In Your Area” published by Reach plc.
On this day 3 May in 1841 New Zealand was proclaimed a colony independent of New South Wales.
The Colony of New South Wales (Australia) had been founded as a penal colony in 1788 with New Zealand under its jurisdiction.
The 1841 proclamation created a Crown colony that existed until 1907 when Dominion status was created.
In 1846 the Constitution Act divided the colony into two provinces, New Ulster (the North Island) and New Munster (the South Island plus Stewart Island/Rakiura)
Power in 1841 had initially been removed from New South Wales and vested in a governor, in 1852 a Constitutional settlement granted self-government and the establishment of an elected parliament in 1853.
The first government of New Zealand was formed in 1856.
New Zealand has had three capitals: For a short period from 1840 to 1841 at Okiato or Old Russell (named after Secretary of State for the Colonies, Lord John Russell) located at the far north of North Island.
Auckland or Tāmaki from 1841 to 1865. Further south but still in the north of North Island.
and from 1865 Wellington (named after Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington) located at the far south of North Island.
In 1907, the colony became a Dominion with more explicit recognition of self-government within the British Empire.
Since 1947 New Zealand has been a self-governing constitutional monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II as the head of state.
In the United Kingdom we are this year celebrating “votes for women”. It’s worth remembering that New Zealand was the first country in the world to allow women to vote in 1893.