Northumberland antique map. Original hand-coloured copper-plate engraved antique map of Northumberland from John Cary’s ‘New Maps of England and Wales with part of Scotland,’ published, 1794. Plate number 68 featuring: part of Scotland and County Durham as well as Holy Island, Coldstream, Kelso, Belford, Yetholm, Wooler, Chillingham, Howick, Alnwick, Whittingham, Rothbury, Bygate Hall, Ilderton, Bellingham, Mitford, Morpeth, Bedlington. NOTE.In 1794 County Durham had a northern enclave, which included Berwick and Holy Island, to the north of Northumberland!
Northumberland (abbreviated Northd) is a county in North East England. The northernmost county of England, it borders Cumbria to the west, County Durham and Tyne and Wear to the south and the Scottish Borders to the north. To the east is the North Sea coastline with a 64-mile (103 km) long distance path. The county town is Alnwick.
John Cary (c. 1754 – 1835) was an English cartographer. Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes, his atlas, The New and Correct English Atlas published in 1787, becoming a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s New Itinerary (1798), a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley (1822–1875).