Puckaster Cove Whitwell Chale Niton Isle of Wight antique map. Original hand-coloured copper-plate engraved antique map from John Cary’s ‘New Maps of England and Wales with part of Scotland,’ published, 1794. Plate number 6 featuring: Puckmaster, Whitwell, Chale, Niton, St Lawrence. John Cary (c. 1754 – 1835) was an English cartographer. Cary served his apprenticeship as an engraver in London, before setting up his own business in the Strand in 1783. He soon gained a reputation for his maps and globes, his atlas, The New and Correct English Atlas published in 1787, becoming a standard reference work in England. In 1794 Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster General to survey England’s roads. This resulted in Cary’s New Itinerary (1798), a map of all the major roads in England and Wales. He also produced Ordnance Survey maps prior to 1805. In his later life he collaborated on geological maps with the geologist William Smith. His business was eventually taken over by G. F. Cruchley (1822–1875).
Puckaster is a hamlet on the Isle of Wight, England which has historical significance. Some have tried to identify Puckaster Cove with the Roman “Portus Castrensis” although others dispute this. Also, on July 1, 1675 King Charles II was forced ashore in Puckaster Cove in bad weather and heavy as recorded in the Niton Church Register: “July the 1st, Anno Domini 1675. Charles II, king of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, etc., came safely ashore at Puckaster, after he had endured a great and dangerous storm at sea.”
Whitwell is a small village located on the south of the Isle of Wight, approximately 5 kilometres north-west of Ventnor, the village’s nearest town. Whitwell is named after the “White Well” inside the village. The well was visited by many during medieval times on pilgrimages.
Chale lies at the foot of St. Catherine’s Down. It is recorded in the Domesday book as “Cela”, which probably derives from the Old English word “ceole”, meaning “throat”. This is thought to refer to the nearby ravine or chine at Blackgang. The name was also recorded as “Chele” or “Chielle”, but it has been “Chale” since the 12th century.
Nettlecombe is a farming hamlet on the Isle of Wight. It is the site of a deserted medieval village and there is evidence of earthworks close to the present hamlet. There are several fishing lakes in Nettlecombe.