Antique print of Pope’s house Binfield Berkshire. This steel engraved antique print, published in 1845, is from ‘Curiosities of Great Britain. England and Wales Delineated. Historical, Entertaining & Commercial, Alphabetically Arranged by Thomas Dugdale, Antiquarian. Assisted by William Burnett.’ (Dugdale was a professional artist, whilst Burnett was a civil engineer by profession.) Together they produced a series of steel engraved prints of English and Welsh architectural and topographical features, together with County Maps.
Binfield is a village and civil parish in the Bracknell Forest borough of Berkshire, England. The name is derived from the Old English beonet + feld and means “open land where bent-grass grows”. The surrounding forest was cleared after the Enclosure Act of 1813 when Forestal Rights were abolished and people bought parcels of land for agriculture; it was at this point that villages like Binfield expanded, when there was work for farm labourers. The local hundred of Beynhurst has a similar derivation. Billingbear is the north-western portion of the parish, although Billingbear Park, near Shurlock Row, is over the border, in the parish of Waltham St Lawrence. All Saints Church (7th century) is mostly mid-19th century, but has some ancient fittings. Of particular note is the 17th century hourglass and elaborate iron stand. It features the arms of the Farriers’ Company of London. The famous poet, Alexander Pope, lived at Pope’s Manor in Popeswood and sang in the church choir as a boy in the early 1700s.