Boston Church Lincolnshire antique print. Known as the Boston stump. This steel engraved antique print, published in 1845, is from ‘Curiosities of Great Britain. England and Wales Delineated. Historical, Entertaining & Commercial, Alphabetically Arranged by Thomas Dugdale, Antiquarian. Assisted by William Burnett.’ (Dugdale was a professional artist, whilst Burnett was a civil engineer by profession.) Together they produced a series of steel engraved prints of English and Welsh architectural and topographical features, together with County Maps.
St Botolph’s Church is a Church of England parish church in Boston, Lincolnshire. It is notable for its extraordinarily tall tower, known as the “Boston Stump.” The church is one of the largest parish churches in England and has one of tallest Medieval towers in England. The tower is approximately 272 feet (83 m) high. It can be seen for miles around, its prominence accentuated by the flat surrounding countryside known as The Fens. On a clear day, it can be seen from East Anglia on the other side of The Wash. The nickname, The Stump is often used affectionately as a reference to the whole church building or for the parish community housed by it. The formal name is Saint Botolph’s Parochial Church of Boston.