Bramber Church of St Nicholas Sussex antique print, published in 1869 by architect William Young from “Picturesque Examples of old English Churches and Cottages.”
Bramber Parish Church of St Nicholas was originally built as the chapel to Bramber Castle and is the only part of the castle site not in ruins. The church is the oldest post-conquest Norman church in Sussex.
William Young was born in Paisley, Scotland in 1843. About 1857 he was articled to James Jamieson Lamb of Paisley, but moved in 1859 to the Glasgow office of William Nairne Tait. He settled in London in 1865 in the office of Charles Henry Howell, the Surrey County Surveyor. This move gave him the chance to study at the South Kensington School in preparation for starting up in independent practice in 1869. In 1870 he was commissioned by Lord Elcho to erect a 50,000 square feet timber marquee at Wimbledon Common for the National Rifle Brigade. This was followed by a commission in 1873 from, William Wells, MP, to build him a large Tudor Gothic style country house, Holmewood Hall, near Peterborough. He set up in premises in the Strand and received a steady stream of commissions, including Haseley Manor, Warwick (1875), Peebles Parish Church (1885-7) and new wings for Gosford House, Lothian (1891). In London he designed Chelsea House, Cadogan Place (1874) for Earl Cadogan and competed unsuccessfully in the South Kensington Museum Competition of 1891. With the help of Lord Elcho, however, he was given the commission for the new War Office in Whitehall (later completed by his son, Clyde Francis Young). In addition to his design work he wrote a number of publications to advertise his work, such as “Town and Country Mansions and Suburban Houses” in 1873 and “Town and Country Mansions with Notes on the Sanitary and Artistic Construction of Houses” in 1878. In 1881 he won the competition for Glasgow City Chambers in George Square, Glasgow. This building features the largest set of sculptures in the city. He was admitted FRIBA in 1891