Clifton Royal Promenade Bristol antique print. Clifton is an inner suburb of the English port city of Bristol. It was recorded in the Domesday book as Clistone, the name of the village denoting a ‘hillside settlement’ and referring to its position on a steep hill. Until 1898 Clifton St Andrew was a separate civil parish within the Municipal Borough of Bristol. Various sub-districts exist, including Whiteladies Road, an important shopping district to the east, and the Village, a smaller shopping area near the Avon Gorge to the west. Although the suburb has no formal boundaries, the name Clifton is generally applied to the high ground stretching from Whiteladies Road in the east to the rim of the Avon Gorge in the west, and from the Down and Durdham Down in the north to Cornwallis Crescent in the south. This area corresponds roughly with the city wards of Clifton and Clifton East, although the former also includes the river side suburb of Hotwells. Clifton is one of the oldest and most affluent areas of the city, much of it having been built with profits from tobacco and the slave trade. Situated to the west of Bristol city centre, it was at one time a separate settlement but became attached to Bristol by continuous development during the Georgian era and was formally incorporated into the city in the 1830s. Grand houses that required many servants were built in the area. Although some were detached or semi-detached properties, the bulk were built as terraces, many with three or more floors. One famous terrace is the majestic Royal York Crescent, visible from the Avon Gorge below and looking across the Bristol docks. Berkeley Square which was built around 1790 is an example of Georgian architecture. Secluded squares include the triangular Canynge Square. The Whiteladies Picture House on Whiteladies Road was converted into offices and a gymnasium in 2001 but it was re-opened as a cinema by Everyman Cinemas in 2016. Clifton Lido was built in 1850 but closed to the public in 1990, it was redeveloped and opened again to the public in November 2008. This antique print is an original image of the Royal Promenade from ‘The Queen’s Album of Clifton,’ a series of 12 small ‘photo-lithograph’ images, measuring 11 cm by 7½ cm, based on some previous steel line-engravings, published by Rock Brothers & Payne, and carrying the dates of the original engravings, in the lower right-hand corner. See Product Gallery image to view the cover of this scarce item.