British Army 16th Queen’s Lancers antique print. The 16th The Queen’s Lancers was a cavalry regiment of the British Army, first raised in 1759. It saw service for two centuries, before being amalgamated with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers to form the 16th/5th Lancers) in 1922. The regiment was raised in 1759 by Colonel John Burgoyne as the 16th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, being the second of the new regiments of light dragoons; it was also known as Burgoyne’s Light Horse. The regiment was closely involved, undertaking several cavalry charges, in the action leading up to the capture of the French Garrison of Belle Île in April 1761 during the Seven Years’ War. It also made a major contribution to the British victories against the Spaniards during the Anglo-Spanish War. In 1766 the regiment was renamed after Queen Charlotte as the 2nd (or The Queen’s) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, the number being an attempt to create a new numbering system for the light dragoon regiments. However, the old system was quickly re-established, with the regiment returning as the 16th (The Queen’s) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons in 1769. The regiment arrived in New York in October 1776 for service in the American Revolutionary War. The regiment returned to England in spring 1779. The regiment next landed at Ostend in April 1793 for service in the Flanders Campaign. Returning to England in February 1796. The regiment was then based in Ireland between autumn 1802 and 1805. The regiment were ordered to support Sir Arthur Wellesley‘s Army on the Iberian Peninsula and landed at Lisbon in April 1809. The regiment took part in the Hundred Days landing at Ostend in May 1815. It charged with John Vandeleur‘s Cavalry Brigade at the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815. After the battle, their commander, Lieutenant-colonel James Hay, lay so badly injured that he could not be moved from the field for eight days. The regiment had been the sole British Army cavalry regiment to serve throughout the Peninsular War and at the Hundred Days. The regiment was dispatched to Ireland in March 1816 where it was re-designated as a lancer regiment in September 1816, becoming the 16th (The Queen’s) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (Lancers). It returned from Ireland in June 1819. The regiment was sent to India in 1822 and saw action, using lances, against the Marathas at the Siege of Bharatpur in January 1826. It also took part in the Battle of Aliwal in January 1846, when the regiment charged and dispersed a body of Sikhs ten times its size, and also fought at the Battle of Sobraon in February 1846 during the First Anglo-Sikh War. The regiment’s title was simplified to the 16th (The Queen’s) Lancers in 1861. It served in India between 1865 and 1876 and again between 1890 and 1899.