Brougham Hall Westmoreland Cumbria antique print. This steel engraved antique print, published in 1845, is from ‘Curiosities of Great Britain. England and Wales Delineated. Historical, Entertaining & Commercial, Alphabetically Arranged by Thomas Dugdale, Antiquarian. Assisted by William Burnett.’ (Dugdale was a professional artist, whilst Burnett was a civil engineer by profession.) Together they produced a series of steel engraved prints of English and Welsh architectural and topographical features, together with County Maps.
Brougham Hall is located just outside Penrith, Cumbria, England. The de Burgham family may have held land here in Edward the Confessor‘s time and were allowed to keep their position after the Norman Conquest of England, which occurred after 1092 in this region….The rise to power of Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux, led to the Hall being extended and enlarged between 1830 and 1847, to designs by the architect Lewis Nockalls Cottingham. The building works were largely overseen by Henry’s brother, William, the 2nd Baron. From this point on, Brougham Hall received visits from London ” society” and other notable people, including royalty. This cumulated in the visit, in 1905, of the King, Edward VII. However, after World War I, Brougham Hall, in common with many other country houses, faced a severe financial crisis. This was compounded by the spendthrift nature of Victor Brougham, 4th Baron and his failed attempts to shore up income by becoming a professional gambler. The hall was sold by Victor, 4th Baron Brougham, attempting to pay his many debts, in 1934, and was thereafter sold again for demolition. From 1941 to 1945, there was a secret tank development facility at Brougham Hall. The project was known as Canal Defence Light (CDL). A plaque at the Hall remembers the men who worked there during the war. There is also a bunker which was used during World War II. After World War II, the Hall languished in a derelict state until it was purchased by Christopher Terry in 1967. Mr. Terry and his wife, Alison, determined to arrest the further decline of the Hall. Today, the hall is the subject of a renovation project by volunteers and is open to visitors throughout the year.