Fishmongers Hall. Original copper-engraved antique print from “Walks Through London, including Westminster and the Borough of Southwark, with the Surrounding Suburbs; describing everything worthy of observation in the Public Buildings, Places of Entertainment, Exhibitions, Commercial and Literary Institutions, &c. down to the present period: Forming a Complete Guide to the Metropolis,” by David Hughson, L.L.D. Published 1817.
The Worshipful Company of Fishmongers (or Fishmongers’ Company) is one of the 110 Livery Companies of the City of London, being an incorporated guild of sellers of fish and seafood in the City. The Company ranks fourth in the order of precedence of City Livery Companies, thereby making it one of the Great Twelve City Livery Companies.
Fishmongers’ Hall is a building on London Bridge, London EC4. It is the headquarters of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers, one of the livery companies of the City of London. The Company’s hall in the City of London is known as Fishmongers’ Hall (sometimes shortened in common parlance to Fish Hall); its earliest recorded hall was built in 1310. A new hall, on the present site, was bequeathed to the Company in 1434. Together with 43 other Livery halls, this one was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and a replacement hall designed by the architect Edward Jerman opened in 1671. This hall by Jerman was demolished to facilitate the construction of the new London Bridge in 1827. The Fishmongers’ next hall was designed by Henry Roberts (although his assistant, later the celebrated Sir Gilbert Scott, made the drawings) and built by William Cubitt & Company, opening in 1834. After severe bomb damage during the Blitz, Fishmongers’ Hall was restored by Austen Hall (of Whinney, Son & Austen Hall) and reopened in 1951.