Greenwich Royal Observatory. Antique steel engraving of Greenwich Royal Observatory, 1845. The observatory was commissioned in 1675 by King Charles II, with the foundation stone being laid on 10 August. The site was chosen by Sir Christopher Wren. At that time the king also created the position of Astronomer Royal. He appointed John Flamsteed as the first Astronomer Royal. The building was completed in the summer of 1676. The building was often called “Flamsteed House”, in reference to its first occupant. The image is from ‘Curiosities of Great Britain. England and Wales Delineated. Historical, Entertaining & Commercial, Alphabetically Arranged by Thomas Dugdale, Antiquarian. Assisted by William Burnett.’ (Dugdale was a professional artist, whilst Burnett was a civil engineer by profession.) Together they produced a series of steel engraved prints of English and Welsh architectural and topographical features, together with County Maps. Thanks to Wikipedia for the linked information.