Law Courts, Strand, London Colour antique print laid on original black paper. Published c1914 under the title ‘London in Colour Photography,’ by the Photochrom Company. Printing described as ‘Reproduced by an Exclusive Process.’ Each image supplied with an original short description. The Royal Courts of Justice, commonly called the Law Courts, is a court building in London which houses both the High Court and Court of Appeal of England and Wales. Designed by George Edmund Street, who died before it was completed, it is a large grey stone edifice in the Victorian Gothic style built in the 1870s and opened by Queen Victoria in 1882. It is one of the largest courts in Europe. It is located on the Strand within the City of Westminster, near the border with the City of London (Temple Bar). It is surrounded by the four Inns of Court, King’s College London and the London School of Economics. The nearest London Underground stations are Chancery Lane and Temple.