Merchant Taylors Hall from Brayley’s Londinia antique print

£20.00

Merchant Taylors Hall from Edward Wedlake Brayley’s ‘Londinia’ antique print published 1829. A view of the hall that was restored following extensive damage during the Great Fire of 1666 and again by Luftwaffe incendiary bombs during the blitz. Original engraving removed from the book and carefully mounted onto paper measuring 9.75 x  7 inches.

In stock

Description

Merchant Taylors Hall from Brayley’s Londinia antique print published 1829.

Merchant Taylors Hall, London is the seat of the Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors, one of the Twelve Great Livery Companies of the City of London surviving from Mediaeval times. The Company has occupied its present site between Threadneedle Street and Cornhill since 1347. It lies in the ward of Cornhill. It is thus one of only 40 remaining livery halls in London. The first Hall was built at some date between the years 1347 and 1392 when it was known as “Taillourshalle”; between then and the Great Fire of London in 1666, no records show structural alteration of any importance except the rebuilding of the roof between 1586 and 1588. At the time of the Great Fire, the roof and the interior were gutted, leaving only the walls and foundations. The building was restored and embellished with tapestries, stained glass windows, chandeliers and panelling; but during the London Blitz in September 1940, it was hit by a number of German Luftwaffe incendiary bombs and the Hall with both Galleries, the Western Entrance, the Grand Staircase and the Parlour with the Drawing Room above were destroyed. Certain important parts of the premises, however, escaped damage. These included the Library with its collection, inter alia, of early books, first editions and other interesting old volumes principally dealing with London; the Court Room, in which the walls are lined with portraits of Past Masters of the Company, and containing over the fireplaces two carved Coats of Arms representing the Company’s original Grant of 1480 and the present Grant of 1586; the Great Kitchen, which has been in continuous use since 1425; and part of the Crypt of the late 14th century Chapel which adjoined the East end of the Hall.

Edward Wedlake Brayley (1773 – 23 September 1854) an English antiquary and topographer. In 1823 he was elected a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and he was appointed librarian and secretary of the Russell Institution in Great Coram Street in 1825, remaining in the positions until his death. He died in London on 23 September 1854.

Thank you to Wikipedia for the above information.

Product Categories