Napoleon Bonaparte portrait antique postcard

£12.00

Napoleon Bonaparte. Guaranteed original antique postcard portrait of Napoleon Bonaparte in military uniform published by The Graphic Art Institute. Dr.Trenkler Co., Brussels.  Approx.Size: 5.5×3.5 inches (14×9 cm) Very good condition.

In stock

Description

Napoleon Bonaparte. Guaranteed original antique postcard portrait of Napoleon Bonaparte in military uniform published by The Graphic Art Institute. Dr.Trenkler Co., Brussels.

The Graphic Art Institute Dr. Trenkler & Co. was a large graphic company in Leipzig. Its main line of production was postcards. Private and commercial photos, catalogues and company publications, advertising stamps and printing plates of all kinds were also part of the scope of production. The main production phase extended from the beginning of the 20th century to the 1920s.

In 1894, Dr. Bruno Trenkler started a small printing company in Leipzig. Trenkler was born in 1863 and obtained his doctorate in 1887 after studying chemistry at the University of Würzburg. Initially, rooms in Dorotheenstraße 5/7, today’s Cäcilienstraße, were rented. At this point in the Leipzig district of Neureudnitz (extension of Reudnitz ), Trenkler initially employed five workers.

Trenkler recognized the potential of the increasingly popular postcard and devoted all of his energy to improving the reproduction processes that could be used for this purpose. Gustav Jahresig from Leipzig took over the commercial part. The ensuing success meant that more rooms had to be rented, which soon extended to five different streets.

In 1901 a plot of land at Eichstädtstrasse 11 in the Stötteritz district was acquired and a factory building, which was completed in the first parts by 1904, was built. In 1903 Max Hoffmann from Dresden joined the company as a partner.

In the Eichstädtstraße all work from the draft, the recording, the clichés to the printing and the binding work could be coordinated and implemented in one house. And it continued to be built and expanded. In 1909 over 700 workers were employed by Trenkler. There were around 130 printing presses in the machine park, and two to three million postcards were dispatched every week. There were company representatives in Dresden, Hamburg, Brussels and The Hague, among others. Travellers kept in touch with customers. The company had an inventory of 25,000 different designs and types of postcards, with cityscapes by far the majority. In the summer, eight to ten landscape photographers travelled to the most beautiful spots in Germany and abroad to obtain the photos. But there were also print jobs with given motifs.

Bruno Trenkler died on September 10, 1926, and was buried in the south cemetery in Leipzig. In the following years, the company must have been divided, because in 1931 the cooperative and commercial register next to Dr. Trenkler & Co AG in Eichstädtstrasse (director Wilhelm August Döhrmann) also ran a Trenkler-postcard GmbH in Dessauer Strasse 13 (managing director Gustav Fehre). And in an advertisement by Dr. Trenkler & Co AG from 1927 postcards are not mentioned.

Product Categories