Queen Victoria Street City of London antique print. Antique print from “London City. It’s History – Streets – Traffic – Buildings – People,” lithographed illustrations by W. Luker, Jr. A subscription edition published in 1890. By Command Dedicated to Her Majesty the Queen, who also headed the ‘List of Subscribers.’
Queen Victoria Street, named after the British monarch who reigned from 1837 to 1901, is a street in London which runs east by north from its junction with New Bridge Street and Victoria Embankment in the Castle Baynard ward of the City of London, along a section that divides the wards of Queenhithe and Bread Street, then lastly through the middle of Cordwainer ward, until it reaches Mansion House Street at Bank junction. Beyond Bank junction, the street continues north-east as Threadneedle Street which joins Bishopsgate. Other streets linked to Queen Victoria Street include Puddle Dock, Cannon Street, Walbrook and Poultry. The road was commissioned in 1861 to streamline the approach to the central business district, and was provided for through the Metropolitan Improvement Act. Costing over £1,000,000, it remains a flagship street within the City.