Royal Albert Dock lit by electricity antique print 1880. Original woodblock engraved antique print published in 1880 in ‘The Graphic’ above the caption, “Dock-lighting by electricity – a sketch at the Royal Albert Docks.”
The Royal Albert Dock, opened in 1880, was built by the St Katharine and London Dock companies and is one of three docks in the Royal Group of Docks in East London.
At the time of its opening the ‘Albert,’ together with the other docks in ‘the Royals’ group, was in Essex.
The largest of the enclosed London docks, it has over three miles of quayside, and the most easterly entrance to the Royal Docks complex at Gallions Reach.
Although closed to commercial shipping a century after its opening, the Royal Albert continues to operate as a centre for watersports and rowing, hosting historic rowing clubs Queen Mary, University of London Boat Club (1910) and the Curlew Rowing Club (1866) together with dragon boat clubs including the Raging Dragons.
The illustration, appeared above the caption “Dock-lighting by electricity – a sketch at the Royal Albert Docks” and was published in ‘The Graphic’ on October 16th. 1880.
The Graphic was a British weekly illustrated newspaper, first published on 4 December 1869 by William Luson Thomas‘s company Illustrated Newspapers Limited.