Savoy Church. Antique print of Savoy Church, or Savoy Chapel, or the Queen’s Chapel of the Savoy, a church dedicated to St John the Baptist, located just south of the Strand, London. Originally founded in the Middle Ages as part of the main church of the Savoy Palace (later the Savoy Hospital), the ancient hospital had fallen into ruin by the 19th century and only the chapel survived. ‘The Antiquities of England and Wales’ by Francis Grose. Eight volumes published from 1772. Printed in London for Hooper and Wigstead. Artists and engravers names are recorded below each antique print, together with the date of the engravings execution. Francis Grose’s interest was in the field of medieval remains, which were beginning to exercise an increasing grip on the public imagination. In 1772, he published the first part of ‘The Antiquities of England and Wales,’ a work which he unashamedly aimed at the popular market. Essentially, it targeted those who wanted to know about antiquities but had neither time nor means to visit them in person, and contained small panoramas of medieval ruins, together with an informative text on a separate page. Sometimes the text was taken from books already published, or from information supplied by other antiquaries (both acknowledged); sometimes Grose collated material himself from which he could work up an article. From 1772 onwards, he also toured the country to visit and draw sites for inclusion in The Antiquities. In all, Eight Volumes of the work were published. Thank you to Wikipedia for supplying links and some of the above text relating to Savoy Church.
We also provide picture framing services