Temple Church. Antique print of an image by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd of Temple Church, in the City of London.
Temple Church is a church in the City of London located between Fleet Street and the River Thames, built by the Knights Templar as their English headquarters. It was consecrated on 10 February 1185 by Patriarch Heraclius of Jerusalem. During the reign of King John (1199–1216) it served as the royal treasury, supported by the role of the Knights Templars as proto-international bankers. It is jointly owned by the Inner Temple and Middle Temple Inns of Court, bases of the English legal profession. It is famous for being a round church, a common design feature for Knights Templar churches, and for its 13th- and 14th-century stone effigies. It was heavily damaged by German bombing during World War II and has since been greatly restored and rebuilt.
Thomas Hosmer Shepherd was employed to illustrate architecture in London, and other cities in the united Kingdom. His paintings were the basis for steel engravings in many books. Shepherd’s work, mostly topographical, is characterized by an attention to detail, along with lifelike scenes that contained people, carriages and horses. His first acclaim came with ‘Metropolitan Improvements; or London in the Nineteenth Century,’ a publication of modern London architecture commissioned by Jones & Co. He worked mostly for Frederick Crace, who employed him to paint old London buildings prior to their demolition, with much of the work surviving in the Crace collection at the British Museum. The sub-title of Metropolitan Improvements reads, ‘a series of views of the new and most interesting objects’ in the British Metropolis & Its Vicinity: from Original Drawings by Mr Thos. H. Shepherd, with historical, topographical and critical illustrations.’ Thanks to Wikipedia for much of the above information.