Trinity Buoy Wharf Store antique print. Antique page from the Illustrated London News published January 18th. 1868, of the store at Trinity Buoy Wharf, Bow Creek, Leamouth, situated on the banks of the River Thames.
Trinity Buoy Wharf, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, is the site of London’s only lighthouse, by the confluence of the River Thames and Bow Creek, at Leamouth. The lighthouse no longer functions, and is the home of various art projects such as Longplayer. It is sometimes known as Bow Creek Lighthouse. In 1803, the site came to be used by The Elder Brethren of Trinity House which is now known as Corporation of Trinity House, and the seawall here was reconstructed in 1822, built by George Mundy of Old Ford. The site was used as a maintenance depot, and storage facility for the many buoys that aided navigation on the Thames; and the wharf for docking and repair of lightships. The original lighthouse was built by the engineer of Trinity House, James Walker, in 1852, and was demolished in the late 1920s. The surviving lighthouse was built in 1864-6 by James Douglass for Trinity House. It was used for lighting trials for Trinity House’s lights around England & Wales. Michael Faraday also carried out experiments there. The pair of lighthouses were used for training prospective lighthouse keepers.