Trinity Buoy Wharf Bow Creek Leamouth antique print 1868

£25.00

Trinity Buoy Wharf Orchard Place, Blackwall. Original antique print published in the Illustrated London News, January 18th, 1868. A nice clean print. Approx paper size 11 x 16.5 inches. Price shown is ex VAT.

In stock

Description

Trinity Buoy Wharf antique print. Original antique print from the Illustrated London News dated, January 18th, 1868 of Trinity Buoy Wharf, Orchard Place, Blackwall.

Trinity Buoy Wharf, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, is the site of London’s only lighthouse, by the confluence of the River Thames and Bow Creek, at Leamouth. The lighthouse no longer functions, and is the home of various art projects such as Longplayer. It is sometimes known as Bow Creek Lighthouse. In 1803, the site came to be used by The Elder Brethren of Trinity House which is now known as Corporation of Trinity House, and the seawall here was reconstructed in 1822, built by George Mundy of Old Ford. The site was used as a maintenance depot, and storage facility for the many buoys that aided navigation on the Thames; and the wharf for docking and repair of lightships. The original lighthouse was built by the engineer of Trinity House, James Walker, in 1852, and was demolished in the late 1920s. The surviving lighthouse was built in 1864-6 by James Douglass for Trinity House. It was used for lighting trials for Trinity House’s lights around England & Wales. Michael Faraday also carried out experiments there. The pair of lighthouses were used for training prospective lighthouse keepers.

Product Categories