University College Oxford State Barge antique print

£25.00

University College Oxford State Barge. Antique print of the University College Oxford State Barge, including a ground plan of the vessel, published March 19th. 1880, in The Building News. Lithograph by James Ackerman, from a drawing by John Oldrid Scott, architect. Paper size 12 x 8.5 inches. A nice clean print in very good condition. Price shown is ex VAT.

In stock

Description

University College Oxford State Barge. Antique print of the University College Oxford State Barge, published March 19th. 1880, in The Building News. Lithograph by James Ackerman, from a drawing by John Oldrid Scott, architect. Includes a floor plan showing the Dressing Room, Club Room, and other features. Now a private home, the ‘Oxford Barge’ was formerly used by university rowers as a changing room and common room. See Product Gallery image for another print of the State Barge.

University College (in full The Master and Fellows of the College of the Great Hall of the University of Oxford, colloquially referred to as “Univ“), is a constituent college of the University of Oxford in England. It has a claim to being the oldest college of the university, having been founded in 1249 by William of Durham. As of 2016, the college had an estimated financial endowment of £114.9m. The college is associated with a number of influential people. Notable alumni include Clement Attlee, Bill Clinton, Neil Gorsuch, Stephen Hawking, C. S. Lewis, V. S. Naipaul and Percy Bysshe Shelley. A legend arose in the 14th century that the college was founded by King Alfred in 872. However most agree its foundation was in 1249 by William of Durham. He bequeathed money to support ten or twelve Masters of Arts studying Divinity, and a property which became known as Aula Universitatis (University Hall) was bought in 1253. This later date still allows the claim that Univ is the oldest of the Oxford colleges, although this is contested by Balliol College and Merton College. Until the 16th century, it was only open to Fellows studying theology. As Univ grew in size and wealth, its medieval buildings were replaced with the current Main Quadrangle in the 17th Century. Although the foundation stone was placed on 17 April 1634 the disruption of the English Civil War meant it was not completed until sometime in 1676. Radcliffe Quad followed more rapidly by 1719, and the Library was built in 1861.

Product Categories