Waterloo antique postcard “Vive l’Empereur!!!” published by Dr. Trenkler Co., Bruxelles (probably c1906.) With its headquarters in Leipzig, Germany, the Trenkler’s had at one time 700 employees but went bankrupt in 1928.
In 1894 Dr. Bruno Trenkler in Leipzig a small printing company. Trenkler was born in 1863 and had his doctorate in 1887 after studying chemistry at the University of Würzburg . Initially were rooms in the Dorotheenstraße 5/7, today Cäcilienstraße ( ), has been rented. At this point in the Leipzig district Neureudnitz (extension of Reudnitz ), Trenkler employed initially five workers.
Recognizing the potential of the picture postcard, Trenkler devoted himself with all energy to improving the reproductive methods that could be used. The commercial part was taken over by Gustav Jahrig from Leipzig. The resulting success meant that additional rooms had to be rented, which soon extended to five different streets. In 1901, a piece of land was acquired in Eichstädtstraße 11 in the district of Stötteritz and a factory building completed by 1904 was completed. In 1903, the Dresden Max Hoffmann joined as a partner. In the Eichstädtstraße ( ) all the work from the draft, the recording, the clichés on the pressure to the binding work in a house could be coordinated and implemented. And it was built further and expanded. In 1909, more than 700 workers were employed by Trenkler. There were about 130 printing presses in the machine park, and two to three million postcards were shipped per week. There were company representations in Dresden, Hamburg, Brussels and the Hague, among others. The connection to the clientele was kept by travellers, The company had a stock of 25,000 different patterns and designs of postcards, with city views by far the largest. For the acquisition of the photographs, summer’s eight to ten landscape photographers visited the most beautiful spots in Germany and abroad. The high quality of their products earned the company numerous honours and recognitions: a gold medal at the International Photographic Exhibition Dresden 1909, two diplomas at the World Exhibition Brussels 1910, the Royal Saxon State Prize at the International Hygiene Exhibition Dresden 1911 and the Saxon state honorary certificate at the exhibition Leipzig, 1922. For the International Building Exhibition (IBA) 1913 in Leipzig, the Trenkler Kunstanstalt had been granted the sole right to photograph the entire exposition. The company had a monopoly on postcards with Greek views from the Greek government.
Bruno Trenkler died on 10 September 1926 and was buried in the South Cemetery Leipzig. The company appears to have ceased trading some two years later.