Buddleia and Canary Wharf limited edition photograph. This photograph of Canary Wharf and Buddleia was taken by Reginald Beer, J.P., F.R.S.A., from the south bank of the River Thames. All images are printed from the original negative and are not digitally enhanced. The photographs are sold as a limited edition and are individually signed and numbered by the photographer and mounted in 10×8, conservation quality ‘antique white’ mounts, ready to frame. Price shown is ex VAT.
Canary Wharf is a major central business district consisting of a private estate and a wider residential, commercial and entertainment development in Greater London in the Borough of Tower Hamlets and is mostly situated on the Isle of Dogs. It is one of the United Kingdom, European Union and Commonwealth of Nations main financial centres – along with the City of London – and contains many of Europe’s tallest buildings, including the second-tallest in the UK, One Canada Square. It was formerly a wharf on the West India Docks in the Port of London that was once one of the busiest in the British Empire before commercial operations creased in 1980, leaving only non-industrial pleasure crafts as the primary traffic. From 1802 to 1939, the area was one of the busiest docks in the world. After the 1960s, the port industry began to decline, leading to all the docks being closed by 1980. Of the three main docks of the West India Docks, part of the north side and the entire south side of the Import Dock (North Dock), both sides of the Export Dock (Middle Dock) and the north side of the South Dock were all developed by Robert Milligan (c. 1746-1809) who set up the West India Dock Company. Most of the West India Docks are now part of the Canary Wharf Estate.