Alexandra Palace antique print. Original front page from The Illustrated London News dated 16th. April 1875.
On this day 16th. April 1875 The Illustrated London News published this image of Alexandra Palace.
It carried the caption “The Central Hall, Alexandra Palace”.
Opened on 24th. May 1873, Alexandra Palace and Park was destroyed by fire within two weeks.
Destroying the interior completely, but sparing the outer walls, the fire also consumed the first exhibition to be staged at the Ally Pall, over 400 examples of English pottery.
Variously known as The Palace of the People, or the People’s Palace, it was officially given the name ‘Alexandra Palace’ after the Princess of Wales, Alexandra of Denmark, who had married Prince Edward.
Two years after its destruction the Palace re-opened on May Day 1875.
It contained a concert hall, art galleries, a museum, lecture hall, library, banqueting room and a large theatre.
In the grounds of Alexandra Park were London’s only horse racing course (Alexandra Park Racecourse), a Roller Coaster, A lido open-air swimming pool, a boating lake, a pitch-and-putt golf course, and a Japanese village.
Threatened with closure and redevelopment, in 1900 a consortium of local authorities and individuals raised sufficient funds to purchase the Palace and its grounds.
The Alexandra Park and Palace (Public Purposes) Act 1900, created a charitable trust charged with the duty to keep both building and park “available for the free use and recreation of the public forever”.
Located between Wood Green and Muswell Hill, and the responsibility of Haringey Council, Alexandra Palace and Park continue to fulfil the obligations given it in the 1900 Act of Parliament.